, , , , ,

Here's The Deal, Sparky...

Saturday, September 06, 2008

We listed our house in the second week of July, asking kind of a middle-to-high-road price for our house size and location. Then we waited. And waited. Jason started to get a little worried that the house wouldn't sell, and I said, "Don't worry about it. If it's meant to happen, it will."

By August, we still had not had any showings, so we dropped our price significantly. We were hoping to sell by the end of the month, so that we could be moving no later than mid-September. "The market's been flooded," we were told, and with 108 properties on the market, we wondered if we even had a chance.

We waited for about another week, and then it suddenly seemed as if Peace River had, collectively, decided it was time to shop for houses. For the next two weeks, we had showings every day or two, sometimes more than one a day, but no offers. I was too tired from all the cleaning to be worried, but Jason was getting increasingly doubtful.

Finally, we had an Open House, after which we were told that one couple was interested enough to go through the house twice. That was on a Thursday. But by Sunday, there were still no offers.

That was when I began to doubt. See, we had always put our plan to move to Arkansas in the Lord's hands, and He seemed to be opening the doors. But if this door didn't open, we couldn't go. Not only that, even if we weren't moving to Arkansas, we needed to sell our house anyway, because another winter in this huge beast would bury us, especially considering I had already given up all of my students. So if we didn't sell the house, and ended up staying here, Jason was talking about taking a second job by the end of September.

The next day, we had a noon showing. The same couple looked at it again around supper time. Then they gave us an offer before bedtime.

The day after, they accepted our counter-offer, and we had another showing that gave us a back-up offer. The following day, that couple accepted our counter-offer.

So. We now have two accepted offers on our house. Both are for the same amount of money, for only $5000 less than our current asking price. Both for the same possession date. The financing condition on the first offer has been cleared, and their house inspection is on Monday, which is the only other condition, so I guess we'll know about that one pretty soon.

With the offers in hand, and a moving date on the horizon, with a 4-day weekend for Jason coming up, we took the time to go for one Final Hurrah to visit family and friends around Sylvan Lake and Red Deer on Labour Day weekend. While we weren't able to catch up with everyone (I mean, c'mon, like our friends are going to avoid making plans just in case any of their friends call them at the very last second to get together? Right.) we did get together with our old friends Chad and Renée M., and Candace V. (I got to see baby Zoe for the first time!), as well as my brother and Dad, my grandparents and Uncle Darrell and Auntie Joy, and Jason's entire family. It was a busy weekend, and it feels like all we did was go from this place to eat, to that place to eat, and then we did... guess what? More eating. By Monday, on the way home, we were stuffed, and felt kind of icky from a rather high percentage of our diet being fast or processed food for the weekend.

It was worth it, though. But I'm glad the feasting didn't last any longer. Tuesday, I made a wonderful vegetable broth soup to start getting our bodies back on track. Within a few days, we felt pretty good again.

Despite the fact that I am now packing, and changing addresses, and taking care of a million little last-minute things that need to be done when moving, especially a move of this magnitude, I also started school with the boys on Tuesday. We are only doing half-days right now, as I really don't have the time to do a full day of school with everything else on the to-do list. However, we are still managing to work on the three R's every day, as well as some other "fun" stuff incorporating science, art, social studies, etc. We are doing a unit study on the character trait of Attentiveness, and our current topic is the five senses, starting with hearing. On Thursday, we "made" an ear, using blankets for the ear canal, a jar of water for the vestibule, with socks wound up or attached to the jar for the cochlea and semi-circular canals. The kids got to climb through the ear, telling me where they were in it and what each part did, banging on a metal lid with a maraca for the hammer and anvil, and basically "being" sound all the way from the ear flap to the nerve (skipping rope) that went to the brain. This is only one example of the cool ways this curriculum incorporates learning and makes it "real" to the kids. So fun!

So, as I sit here typing, we are about two weeks away from our moving date. I have several boxes packed and stacked around the house, but plenty more to go. Chances are, my blogging rate is going to go down now that school has started again (as evidence is already suggesting), and then during the move I will be taking a hiatus. However, for now, I'll try to keep capturing memories with words as much as I have time for.

Thank you to all of you who have been praying for us during this time of transition, and who continue to do so. Your prayers are felt and appreciated.

The serious and the silly.

The boys and I got to ride in my Uncle Darrell's milk truck around the block--a first for them, and something I hadn't done since I was a girl.

I asked Uncle Darrell if they drink the milk from the truck or buy it from the store.

"We buy it from the store to avoid the 'appearance of impropriety,'" he said.

"Too bad. The stuff in the truck is probably way better for you," I replied.

"Oh, I know it is," he affirmed.

My boys and Candace's two oldest girls checking out the chickens. Noah got the biggest kick out of chasing them around the yard. Candace is raising several exotic breeds, as you can see.

The happy Winters family.

All of the traveling left Jabin a little sleepy the day after we got home!

You Might Also Like


  1. Wow! So MUCH happening! I'm glad to hear that you finally had a couple of bites. And now it's (more or less) official that you're heading off to Arkansauce. So much to think about and prepare for, so much unknown.

    I love that last photo.


  2. The schooling sounds fascinating. How many years do you plan to do it? And when you say 'full day', how will you do other stuff around the house?And can the same stuff work for all three of them?

  3. Colleen - Hee. Yep, we don't have too many of Jabin asleep in his soup. Now Noah, that's another story!

    Rohini - For years, I've been saying I'll home school them until Grade 3, but now I dunno... we might keep at it until they get finish Grade 9. I guess we'll see how the "fit" is as time goes by. As far as a "full day"--I don't know about that either! I've never done it before! :-) Fortunately, the children are actually getting old enough that to make a half-hour to an hour of household chores part of our (meaning, them too) daily routine is something that is actually feasible. Jabin and Noah are old enough to set the table, Jude is old enough to help with dishes, laundry, and cleaning tasks (he's a great vacuumer!). Then, the husband helps in the evenings, and we have a more major clean-up day on the weekend--and in the meantime, learn to live with a little more mess, I guess!

    The KONOS part of our curriculum (which is everything but Math, Phonics, and Language Arts) is designed to work for children of a variety of ages, so yes, I will be able to teach them simultaneously on that. (I may have to repeat some of the more important stuff, like history, with Jabin as he gets older. But if he doesn't learn about butterflies at the same time as his brothers--who cares?) 3 R's stuff they are at separate stages at, so I have to plan it so that I can be working with one kid while the other is doing an activity that requires less supervision. As they age, of course, they will become more self-monitoring, because they can read instructions themselves, etc. It works, somehow. I know a mom that has 8 kids, at least 5 of which are school age, and she home schools. It just takes a different way of thinking to be schooling kids of a variety of ages and interests all at once, but it really is not as exhausting as it seems it should be. Honest. (Check back in two months to see if I still believe that! Ha!)


Thank you for commenting today! I want to make sure you get my reply. Make sure you sign up for follow-up e-mails on this post, as I will be replying to you in the comments section here!

Popular Posts

Blog Archive